Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Update on Kallie

Well, Kallie is doing alright today. It was a much worse break than before (last time it was a 15 degree angle, this time it was 30 degrees). Shane said it was a pretty rough experience for her. They even had to do an IV & have Shane leave while they set it (she was consciously sedated). Poor baby. I keep trying to just not think about it. And they couldn't do the waterproof cast since it's a full-arm cast. In fact, the one she has is up to her armpit almost.

Oh, and I forgot to mention how she broke it. She was just running through the living room and tripped (not on anything, just on herself). Our floors are hardwood, so she must have hit it just right in the spot that was already weak from before. The doctor warned us last time that it had a higher chance of re-breaking because of where the break was. Although, only 5% of kids actually re-break at all. He said that we should be encouraged to know that he hasn't really seen any that break it a 3rd time. Let's just hope Kallie doesn't try to break any records.

But I found some cool things online to cheer her up...

Here's the stretchy fabric cast covers I ordered. I thought they'd be cute for school. I got the pink floral one & the solid pink one. Oh, and did I mention that her cast is RED?! Shane said he knew I wouldn't like that, but that he felt too sorry for her to argue with her about color. Never mind that everything she owns is pink! Oh, and she wants me to color black polka dots all over it with a sharpie so that she looks like a ladybug. How cute is that?

And we're looking at waterproof covers too. Pretty nifty, huh? Apparently you can totally swim with them & everything. The doctor said we should be more worried about the sand than the water. We'll just have to wrap it up REALLY good.

I just told her this afternoon that she'd have to wear her cast to Florida. She just cried & cried. Apparently that hadn't crossed her mind. Kids are tough though, so I know she'll be fine once we get there. We had lots of sweet friends come by yesterday...she got lots of popsicles, ice cream, & Daddy promised her a new baby doll.

Thanks so much for your prayers! We are thankful that the most difficult thing we have to deal with right now is a broken arm. PTL!

Here she is enjoying her popsicle & showing off the big red cast. She looks out of it because she was still a little loopy from the medicine.

5 comments:

Elaine Johnson said...

Gosh, I'm glad Kallie is okay. Crazy stuff. Way to go, resourceful one, looking for ways Kallie can keep her arm dry and enjoy your vacation! Have a wonderful time girl!

Little Oak Table said...

Girl, I am so sorry to hear about that. How scary! She is the cutest thing! Have a fun trip!

Milycia said...

Glad to hear kallie is doing ok. I know how scarry this all is especially after all the surgeries and hospital visits Tori has gone thru over the past 6 months. I love your blogs and look forward to reading them everytime you update. Your family is beautiful!
Hugs and Take Care
Milycia

Milycia said...

Glad to hear she is ok. I look forward to your blogs and check them often. You and your family look wonderful.

Tami Muhlbauer said...

Poor thing...clutziness must run in the family.

I'm glad she's doing better and I know your parents are spoiling her to peices right now :)