Sunday, September 16, 2007

Why is this one so hard?

We have three children, and between them we have celebrated eleven birthdays. So why does this one feel different? I don't ever remember feeling quite so emotional and sentimental about a birthday. I mean, it's not even a milestone year or anything.

Maybe it's because she stayed a baby so much longer than Seth. He grew up so fast. Kallie has remained so innocent.

Maybe it's because she's the second one, and now I realize how fast they grow. I know that this is probably the last year she'll fit in the front part of the grocery cart. She's almost too big now. Or the last year she'll want me to carry her. Or that we're getting to the end of the time I can put big bows in her hair. And that it's the last year she'll be home with me all day long.

Maybe it's because she's just so sweet. Like the way she says "Yes Momma" to every single thing I say right now. And the way she cuddles with me on the couch at night and in the mornings while we're waiting for Luke to wake up.

Maybe it's the "innocent" things she says and the questions she asks. Like when I was buying limes at the grocery store today, and she said "No! I don't like green oranges!" Or tonight when she asked me where the music was coming from & I showed her the speaker & she wanted to know if someone was inside it singing. Or yesterday when she asked me when her party was & I told her at 6, and she said "But I'm not 6! Seth is 6!" And the way we had to start practicing a few weeks ago so that when her birthday got here she'd know how old she was.

Maybe it's because I appreciate the relationship I have with my own mom more than I ever have before & I know how special this mother/daughter thing really is.

Maybe it's because I want her to be sweet and innocent forever. I want her to always believe everything that I tell her. Four seems so much older than three. Four comes right before five, and five's just too old.

It's hard to believe four years and one day ago we had never seen her pretty face. We are so blessed to have our sweet Kallie.





Happy birthday baby girl!

4 comments:

Emily said...

Happy Birthday Kallie! I remember exactly where I was when your mama called and told me they were on thier way to the hospital for you to be born! Her prayers had been answered with a sweet little GIRL! We have loved you before we knew you and hope you have the BEST birthday ever! Love, Avery, Ally and Annalyse

Diane Taylor said...

I cannot add a word to what you have said, Allison. So sweet. So true.
Love, Mom

Alli said...

My little one will be 4 on Oct. 2nd. I'm feeling many of those same feelings you've had. I'd better stop talking about it before I start the water works! Happy Birthday sweet Kallie!

Tami Muhlbauer said...

Allison...thanks for the cry and for making realize what I'm going to have to go through in a few short years!!

Happy Birthday Kallie!!