Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Happy Birthday Nana!!!


You may be wondering why Nana's birthday message was filmed inside the car. That's because we were on hour 6 of our trying-to-get-to-youth-camp adventure! And let me tell you, there were highs and lows.

A few of the lows...

-Packing for a whole family for a week at camp took HOURS. I found the kids all sitting in their seats in the van (that was still parked in the garage) as I was about halfway finished packing.

-Meltdown #1 occured when Seth realized he'd lost his charger for his PlayStation Portable.

-This required a trip to Walmart.

-While we were at Walmart Luke lost one of his crocs. (Okay, they were $7 Target fakes, but they were new.)

-We all traipsed back through Walmart looking for it, which made everyone even crankier & sweatier.

-Walmart, of course, didn't carry the charger we needed, so we had to go to Fry's. More whining & sweating. Luke went in barefoot.

-Meltdown #2 occured when Seth dropped half of the food off his tray in the camp cafeteria line. Although I think this meltdown had been brewing for several minutes as Seth inventoried the food on his tray that didn't quite meet his standards.

-And finally, meltdown #3 occured when an under-napped Luke realized his new crocs had given him blisters.


And a few of the highs...

-Since the kids were so excited to leave for camp, I decided to drive through McDonald's, get them all kids meals, and then park the van back in the garage while they ate & I finished packing. Don't worry, the van was off. They enjoyed their van/garage picnic.

-As we walked out of Walmart for the second time, sweaty and defeated, Kallie spotted the missing croc underneath the van. Woo-hoo!!!

-We highly enjoyed our first mini-road trip in our NEW VAN! We are sooooo excited to have a van with rear air & power side doors. The kids are no longer roasting in the back seat.


-The camp food was actually really yummy. (I happen to love camp food. Hey, it's a hot meal & I don't have to cook it or wash the dishes afterwards.)

-Seeing Luke & Kallie snuggled up in bed together watching Elmo & eating apples was pretty cute. They were so content.


-I got to rock Luke to sleep on the front porch of our cabin as we listened to the crickets and watched the full moon.

-And right now, I'm watching all three of my kids sleeping at once. It's been a long time since they've been asleep in the same room.

MORE EXCITING CAMP ADVENTURES TO COME!

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love it!! My favorites were the garage/car picnic, finding Luke's croc under the car, rocking Luke outside, and seeing a pic of your new van.

Stephanie said...

Did I mention that one of the reasons the picnic was one of my favorites is because I can so relate!! I've missed not having a garage to park kids in while I get things ready in the house. I laughed out loud when I read your post. I can just see them out there all excited. Mine would be the same way :)

Diane Taylor said...

I Loved the song!! Thank you...so sweet. Praying that you have a wonderful week!! I had to smile when I read your post...oh...how I love those kids!!!!! :) Have fun!

Melissa said...

That was a great post, Allison!! Good ol camp! So fun.

Elaine Johnson said...

Hey girl...

Without much hope for a new post since I knew you were at camp, I was so happy to see you had actually posted.

Sounds like exactly what it should be--filled with all the drama of mothering three young kids! You are exactly where you should be, doing exactly what you should be doing.

Alli said...

How refreshing to see someone else call fake crocs, crocs. I had no idea anyone else wore fake ones, but my family. Tate wears $7 Doggers from CVS. Actually, they were like $3 after my coupon. ha! Ava Love has some Hello Kitty "crocs" from Payless. She loves them and the were much cheaper. Hey, did you know you can clean those suckers in the dishwasher? Jennie told me that blessed fact several months ago and it changed my life.

Loved hearing all about the trip to camp. I just love your family!

Betsy said...

What a neat story!! You're quite the mom!! Have fun at camp!
Brings back lots of memories!

Betsy